Draycott Primitive Methodist chapel
Derwent Street, Draycott, Derby DE72 3NF
Although it rained heavily, the foundation stone for Draycott Primitive Methodist chapel was laid on August 12th 1865. Celebrations which included tea for 130 in Mr Smith’s wagon hovel which was “beautifully garnished and festooned for the occasion”.
Speakers included Revs R Robinson and S Antliff, Mr Smith and Mrs Robinson (who laid the stone). She also gave £10 of the £20 raised on the day.
The chapel was built in due course and still exists. Next to it is a later (1897) , larger building, the S Antliff Memorial church (Prims were posher by that time)- presumably the Rev S Antliff who spoke at the foundation stone laying for the 1865 building.
The society still operates.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 page 46-47