Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel
Chesterfield Road, Eckington, Sheffield S21 4BD
The current (2015) Methodist church is on the way out of Eckington on Chesterfield Road. A plaque above the entrance identifies it as a Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1877.
The Society goes back at least to 1830. The return to the Religious Census of 1851 refers to a separate building of 1830 used by a Primitive Methodist congregation. It accommodated 120 and had an estimated congregation on March 30th of 40 in the afternoon and 110 in the evening, with 57 Sunday Scholars attending a morning class, and 65 in the afternoon. The return was completed by John Rose, Chapel Steward, who described himself as a Carpenter, of Mosbro Near Chesterfield.
The chapel was known as Mount Zion. The front was redesigned in 1996, soon after Keith Guyler’s photograph was taken.
The church is joined with the Anglican Mission of St Luke in a Local Ecumenical Partnership.