The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Grassmoor in the Clay Cross station.
More information comes from and article by Rev Henry Jones in the Christian Messenger.
“GRASSMOOR is an adjoining village to Ling’s Row, and a few members of the above decided to establish a cause in their own place. Mr. Michael Wheeldon opened his house for services. As the numbers grew, the club room was freely placed at the service of the infant society. A site of land was secured and a school chapel erected, and in 1879 a larger building was completed to hold the increased congregations. Owing to the Day School authorities utilizing the building, it was found more convenient to erect a new church. This was done in 1899. In a few years a strong and vigorous church has been built up, possessing a property valued at over £3,000 and under £600 debt thereon.”
The 1898 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on North Wingfield Road, just north of New Street. On the 1918 map it is labelled as a cinema. There are houses on the site in 2009. By the 1918 map , the Primitive Methodist chapel has moved a few yards further south, to the corner of Chapel Street. It also has a Sunday school building. That building is still part of an active church in 2020.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 762
Christian Messenger 1910/249