Hognaston PM Chapel, Derbyshire
The History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby 1857 describes the Primitive Methodist Chapel in Hognaston, built in 1827, as a neat brick building.
According to Kelly’s Directory of Derbyshire 1912 (page 300-301), a Primitive Methodist Chapel was first erected in Hognaston in 1827 and rebuilt in 1898 – by Samuel Hardy, the village stonemason – for 250 persons, at a cost, with Sunday School adjoining of £700.
The present building (on the right) has an inscription to record that it was once a Primitive Methodist Chapel. Though not easy to see in the image here, its date stone records 1898 in an unusual way. It has a large central figure ‘8’ with smaller figures of ‘9’ and ‘8’ on either side of it, so appears to read ‘988’.
Further images are available in the small publication on the history of Hognaston.
The building is now used as a private residence.
Hognaston: A History of a Derbyshire Village edited by Gill and Mike Pratt pp59-60
History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby 1857
Kelly’s Directory of Derbyshire 1912 pp300-301
Derbyshire Places of Worship: Hognaston Methodist Church (http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/DBY936.php viewed 17 Nov 2013)