Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

There were two chapels here. One built in 1836 and one built in 1876.

1836 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987
Keith Guyler 1987
1887 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987. Notes with the photograph say that the Sunday School was used as the Church since 1987
Keith Guyler 1987
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Kirk Ireton, Sermon flyer, 1919. It was found (inside a French text book from 1909!). The book was from Wirksworth Grammar School and belonged to Annie Bowler.
S Swan

The first chapel to be built in Kirk Ireton (photos 1-3) was in 1836. It still stands today opposite the much larger chapel (photos 4-6) built to replace it in 1876. The latter has now been converted into a house whereas the former is now being used for worship again.

Photos taken October 2013

OS Map ref:

Comments about this page

  • Circuit records indicate that the latter larger chapel was sold in 1985 and the proceeds used to renovate the original building.

    By David Leese (03/05/2021)
  • There’s an article by James Shaw in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine (September, p.554) about the re-opening of the 1836 chapel after repairs – essentially raising and strengthening the roof. 

    It was re-opened on on Sunday, June 29th, 1856, “by our valued mother in Israel, through whose instrumentality scores have been brought to a knowledge of the truth“, Mrs. Bembridge, of Mercastion, formerly Mrs. Harrison. The next day a well-attended tea-meeting was held; addresses came from Messrs. L. Wood, S. Dean, L. Mathew, A. Greatorex, and James Shaw. Mr. J. Harris was in the chair.

    By Christopher Hill (03/04/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.