There are two former Primitive Methodist Chapels in Park Road, Mickleover, Derby. The oldest is the white painted building and has been a mechanics garage before being converted into a house. The brick building next door, being larger, was built presumably to accommodate a growing congregation. As you can see it is now a private dwelling. At some time in the past the owner tried to obliterate the inscriptions at the front of the building which is a shame.
At the time of building the first chapel, Mickleover was a village some three miles outside Derby. Most of the folk not in trades would have been involved in agriculture. There were some framework knitters in the village who would at this time be poorly paid.
Rev. David Lees has added further information:
In 1852 a ‘solid red brick chapel’ capable of seating 100 was built on Park Road, Mickleover. It replaced an earlier building that had reported in the 1851 religious census as not exclusively used for P.M. purposes, with an evening general congregation of 40. The 1852 chapel stands next to the former school room. The chapel closed in 1932 and is now a residence, as is the school room.