Northwood Primitive Methodist chapel
Lumb Lane, Northwood
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1879 Ordnance Survey map to the eastern side of Lumb Lane. It is still there in the 1967 map, although unlabelled. Street View doesn’t go there.
The Primitive Methodist magazine tells us about the laying of the foundation stone for the chapel and its subsequent opening.
“Foundation Stone Laying at NORTHWOOD, WlNSTER CIRCUIT.—On Wednesday, December the 14th, 1864, the foundation stone of a new chapel was laid by Miss Smith, a member of the Episcopal church, Darleydale, after which appropriate addresses were delivered by the circuit ministers, the Revs. P. Daykin and J. Wileman ; also a public meeting was held the same evening in the old preaching room, addressed by the above ministers, and Messrs. Parks, Milner, Holmes, Barton, and Barnsley.
At the close of each service contributions were received towards the new chapel. The land and stone have been given, and all the materials are to be brought to the spot free of charge. P. Daykin.”
“Opening of Northwood Chapel, Winster Station.—Northwood was missioned by Mr. William Lomas, now of Canada, in 1849. It appeared on the Winster station’s plan in 1850. The society then formed, until it entered its own sanctuary on May 21st, 1865, had to seek shelter in no fewer than six cottages.
The total cost of the chapel is about £84 ; towards this the sum of £46 has already been given. The thanks of the ministers and trustees are accorded to Mr. J. Wall for the gift of land, to Mr. John Milner for £12 in labour and money, to Mrs. Preston for the sum of £11 2s. lid., also pulpit cushion and damask crimson communion table cover ; to Mrs. Smith and daughter for £11 1s., and to all who have aided us.
The opening services were conducted by the Revs. J. Hurd, P. Daykin, J. Wileman, and W. Broadbent, May 21st, 22nd, and 28th. P. Daykin.”
Primitive Methodist chapel 1865 page 315
Primitive Methodist chapel 1865 page 691