The 1877 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us they had begun the construction of a Primitive Methodist schoolroom at Pilsley in the Clay Cross station. They had acquired sufficient land to build a chapel at some point in the future.
The 1899 and 1918 Ordnance Survey maps show a Primitive Methodist chapel on Church Street, north of Brunswick Street and what was then a brewery. It was well set back from the road. By the 1940 map it is still on the same site, but with a different footprint, closer to the road. Had they completed their initial plan?
Street View in 2016 shows an Evangelical Methodist church in the same building, but with a rebuilt front.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1877 page 569