Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

Known as Mount Zion This chapel was built in 1906

Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
Middleton by Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire
1906 Middleton by Wirksworth Mount Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999 | Keith Guyler 1999
1906 Middleton by Wirksworth Mount Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999
Keith Guyler 1999

The village of Middleton by Wirksworth is full of history. Once involved in lead mining it became well known for the quarrying of the famous Hopton Wood Stone which was ninety nine percent pure limestone. This stone was used in the construction of many buildings such as the Houses of Parliament, university colleges and after the First World War for thousands of gravestones erected in France and Belgium.

The large stone built chapel was erected in 1906. An earlier chapel was built in the village in 1846 and rebuilt in 1874.No date for the closure of the present building is known. It has we think been converted into a dwelling and in 2014 is up for sale.

Photos taken October 2014

OS Map Ref:119:SK276562

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone