Rowsley Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

This chapel was built in 1910

In 2014 this chapel is still open for worship.

Photos taken October

OS Map Ref:119:SK260664

Editor’s note (CH 5/22)

The 1897 Primitive Methodist magazine  (page 154) tells us that after meeting for several years in a cottage, the society at Rowsley in the Winster Station,  had obtained a very eligible site from the Duke of Rutland to erect a new chapel.  Did it take them 13 years?

a few months later, the 1897 magazine (page 395) tells us more:

At Bowsley in the Minster circuit, 810 square lards of land have been purchased from the Duke of Rutland for the sum of £30/7s/6d being at a rate of 9d per yard.  Our people have recently missioned the village which is likely to grow into quite a town. The population is rapidly increasing.  Many of the Midland Railway Company’s servants are settling in the neighbourhood and there is a good prospect of our raising a flourishing cause.  The friends are arranging an effort to raise at once £100

The person who submitted the story must have had handwriting that was difficult to read – Minster is Winster and Bowsley is Rowsley.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.