Wirksworth Primitive Methodist Chapel, Derbyshire

Wirksworth Primitive Chapel | Rev. David Leese
Wirksworth Primitive Chapel
Rev. David Leese

Address:

The Dale, Wirksworth, DE4 4EJ

This chapel is hidden away up a back street. The records indicate founded 1859 to closure in 1975.

Date could not be read on chapel but suspect this building is later than original date.

Comments about this page

  • The opening of the chapel in 1859 is described by JT Neal in the Primitive Methodist magazine (December 1859 page 741).

    The foundation stone was laid on May 24th 1859 by W Marsh and the opening events started on September 4th. Opening speakers included Revs W Carthy (Ilkeston), J Woodcock (Lincoln), W Cutts (Sheffield) and S Rains (Manchester).

    Wirksworth had been missioned from Belper 30 years previously with a “good chapel in poor situation” but it fell off the plan.  It was re-missioned in 1850 from Kniveton by J Harrison and a new chapel built when membership reached  80. 

    The new chapel cost £500 of which they had raised £200 by the opening. It measured 39′ x 33′ and 23′ from floor to ceiling.

    By Christopher Hill (21/11/2017)
  • It was during the time of the Rev J.T. Neal that the head of the circuit was changed from the village of Kniveton to Wirksworth. The Wirksworth chapel was built at this time, and as minister he was promised all the stone he needed by the quarry master if he could get it quarried. Putting the case to the Primitive quarrymen they agreed to do it, and he undertook to wake up the men early in the morning, and prepare breakfast for them at 5.30am! before their day’s work. They toiled all summer and the chapel was opened 1859.

    Source ‘Heroic Men’ 1889.

    By David Leese (19/02/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone