The former Primitive Methodist chapel building at 133 Babbacombe Road Torquay still exists. It was originally in the Torquay Primitive Methodist circuit.
The first local society of Primitive Methodists was founded in Babbacombe in 1863. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid in June 1868 and it opened in October the same year. It appears on a 1889 OS 6 inch map as Methodist Chapel (Primitive) and several later maps up to the 1935 OS 25 inch map (after Methodist Union in 1932) where it is marked as Meth Church.
It is not known when it closed but it was probably in the late 1930s.
Subsequently the building, which has always been known as the Kingsway Hall, has had a varied career. At some time in the 1960s it was used as a Plymouth Brethren chapel and in 2022 is a children’s nursery. Externally it looks very well maintained.
Much information here comes from the website Methodist chapels in Torquay-Terry Leaman with permission Thanks to Dave Martin for permission to use the photos taken in Feb 2022.