Colehill Primitive Methodist chapel

Lonnen Road, Colehill BH21 7AT

Colehill Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1989

Colehill Primitive Methodist chapel was built by William Habgood’s building firm and opened in 1913.   Apparently at the opening  Mrs Dorcas Habgood played the harmonium outside the chapel, accompanied by three fiddlers.  

Previously the society had met in a hut known as Little Lonnen Chapel in Four Wells Road. 

A full account of the story of Colehill Primitive Methodist chapel can be seen on the Dorset Life website.  It is still active in 2015.


Reference:

Dorset Life website accessed August 4th 2015

 

Comments about this page

  • ‘The New Stour and was Avon’ one of our local free papers, in its edition of Aug 27th 2021 printed an item with the title “Church’s problem is a matter of rust”. When they reopened after an 18 month closure due to Covid 19, a routine boiler service revealed that the boiler was so rusty it had to be taken out of service with immediate effect. The church had previously been receiving a good income from the many community groups that used its large hall, and that would now be lost, which left them facing the possibility of permanent closure. Their response was to hold a gift day.
    Two issues later, the paper carried the headline “Generosity saves village church”. No monetary amount is mentioned but it said ‘the outcome was astonishing and work is now going ahead to install the new boiler’.

    By Mark Churchill (30/09/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *