The return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in Kington Magna to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by the steward, William Blackmore Junior. He tells us that the chapel was erected in 1827 and accommodated 285 people. On Census Sunday 250 attended the morning service and 300 in the evening. In addition there was a Sunday school of 80 scholars at each service.
The chapel clearly was not big enough to cope, because on the English Heritage site we read that a new chapel was erected in 1851, and is now a grade II listed building. It is described as:
“Primitive Methodist Chapel, now private house, dated 1851, by T. Tanner (Mason). Coursed squared rubble with gable-ended slate roof. Gabled front of three bays. Three narrow two-centred windows. Central two-centred doorway with shafted jambs. Flush panelled door.”
Location: GR: ST7652722841
English Heritage website accessed 25/01/2021 online at: