The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Portisham (Portesham) to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by Jesse White, a local preacher. The preaching place has been opened for religious worship before 1831. It had 30 free seats and on Census Sunday was full for the service, which was held in the evening.
It did not have a Sunday School.
The 1901 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Back Street. In time it became Portesham Methodist Church which is still open for worship in 2021 with 12 members. The church website refers to celebrating 150 years of worship which would date the chapel around 1870.