Sandford Primitive Methodist chapel

Sherborne branch

The Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1852 contains an account by J S Brown of the opening of Sandford Primitive Methodist chapel in the Sherborne branch.

The society in early 1852 was anxious because the Coke family who had played a major role in the society and whose house the services were held in, were emigrating to  America. However, C Moody gave a place free for eight years and with some alterations costing £8/3/10 it was fitted out as a comfortable little chapel

The opening services were held on April 25th 1852 with sermons by Rev W Driffield and Mr Trask. At the following day’s tea meeting there were addresses by Messrs Driffield, Brown, Trask and Perrott.  Four souls joined the society and the full £8/3/10 was raised. Additional thanks to Messrs Marks, Perrott and Thompson.

Can anyone locate the chapel?


Primitive Methodist magazine July 1852 p. 435


Comments about this page

  • Thanks for this information Martin. The accounts of chapel openings in the Primitive Methodist magazine contained all sorts of detail, but rarely said where a chapel was located.

    By Christopher Hill (31/07/2019)
  • This is Sandford Orcas Primitive Methodist chapel, situated about 3 miles north of Sherborne. The chapel is in the hamlet of Higher Sandford at Grid Reference ST 628202, about half a mile south of the centre of Sandford Orcas village. The village was originally in Somerset but after boundary changes in 1895 is now in Dorset.
    There is a reference in the local paper, The Western Gazette of 17/12/1875 to “entertainment at the Sandford Orcas Primitive Methodist chapel” but the OS maps of 1887 and 1902 for the area surprisingly indicate a Plymouth Brethren chapel now on the site. So it appears that sometime between 1875 and 1887 the chapel was sold to this sect.
    According to a recent local publication The Sandford Orcas Village Walks and Heritage Trail, the Plymouth Brethren chapel closed in 1935.
    The chapel has long been converted to residential use and now forms part of a property on the site called Agincourt at DT94RP

    By Martin Reeves (30/07/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *