After 40 years of worshipping in a small room, “and not a very convenient one”, in the village, the Primitive Methodist society in Shapwick laid the foundation stones for a new chapel in 1892.
We are told a bit more about the small room in the return from the Primitive Methodist society in Shapwick to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. It showed that they were meeting in a chapel built in 1845. The signature of the person who completed the return is illegible.
44 people attended the afternoon service and 61 people attended the evening service.
The 1892 chapel is still marked as a Primitive Methodist chapel on the 1956 Ordnance Survey map, over twenty years after the Primitive Methodist connexion ceased to exist. In 2009 it has been converted to residential use, but still retains its date stone.