The notes with Keith Guyler’s picture of Handley Primitive Methodist chapel (also known as Sixpenny Handley) tell us that the chapel was built in 1835, but there is more to it than that.
The return from the Primitive Methodist society in Handley to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship showed that at that time they were meeting in a preaching place erected in 1849 that was not a chapel. The return was completed by the Steward, Charles White.
80 people attended the evening service, the building’s capacity.
The chapel was one of the 52 buildings burnt in a calamitous fire in May 20th 1892 which started in a blacksmith’s shop. After rebuilding, it served until 1979.
After closure of the chapel, the Society remained on the plan until 1990 as Methodists conducted services in the parish church once every 2 months. At the time of Keith Guyler’s picture in 1988 it was in use as an antique dealer’s store. On Google Street View in 2011 there is no sign of commercial activity; it looks like it is in residential use.