Sturminster Marshall Primitive Methodist chapel
Sturminster Marshall Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1856 to serve the village of “about 1,000 inhabitants, … unhappily proverbial for wickedness, especially drunkenness”. Early in the year they had lost the cottage they had met in for some years, but they continued to meet in the open air. Three years previously an Independent congregation in the village moved into a new chapel, leaving the old one vacant and Mr. E. Hunt, the circuit steward, rented it for the society at £5 a year.
The chapel was opened on Sunday, August 3rd, 1856, it was reopened for Divine worship by our friends. Sermons were preached to “tolerably good” congregations by Mr. E. Hunt, of Spetisbury, and E. Hancock. On the following day, a public tea-meeting was held, followed by a religious service, when “some short, pithy addresses were delivered” by Messrs. A. Bartlett, R. Hunt and G. James.
The festivities were described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by E. Hancock and B. Hunt.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1856 p.618