Sturminster Newton The Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel

The Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1993
The Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1993

Sturminster Newton is north west of Blandford Forum. The Bridge  Primitive Methodist chapel in Sturminster Newton opened in 1846. In the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1848, Rowland Hill (that Rowland Hill?) tells us about the opening.

After the  society amalgamated with the Wesleyan chapel in Church Street in 1959, this building was used as the Methodist Youth Centre and Sunday School.

Keith Guyler’s notes accompanying his photograph say that it was formerly a public house.  He also refers to a second  chapel of 1870, disused at the time of his notes.

Following Adam Miller’s additional information below, we can confirm the 1870 re-building.  The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1870 contains an account by E Hancock on the laying of a foundation stone for a new chapel on July 18th 1870. He explains that the old chapel was too small so it was  pulled down to accommodate larger building which was expected to cost around £600. E Hancock writes again to the magazine in 1871 with details of the opening on October 30th 1870. Preachers were Revs D Kendal and Geo. Rogers (Independent). Liberal donors included Mr H Stroud £20, Mrs Stroud £10, a friend £20, a friend’s wife £10, etc.. The new chapel measured 43′(l) x 33′(w) x 20′(h).

I can’t find The Bridge chapel on Google Street View; can anyone say where it is and explain the possible second chapel?

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1848 501-502

Primitive Methodist magazine 1870 page 632

Primitive Methodist magazine 1871 page 116

 

 

Comments about this page

  • George Warner in the Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1862 (page 48) tells us about the enlargement of Stourminster (sic) Newton chapel in 1861. Galleries were added and the whole premises cleaned and painted. 

    Preachers at the re-opening from November 17th included Isaac Humphries, G Warner, T Powell, Walter Bartley, Blackmore, Humphries and Powell.

    The funding was quite complex but Henry Stroud lent £100 in return for a £4 annuity during his lifetime. Other major donors included onors G. Sturt, Esq.,M.P. and the Hon.W.B. Portman, Esq., M.P..

    By Christopher Hill (24/05/2018)
  • Thanks for the explanation Adam.

    By Christopher Hill (27/08/2015)
  • This chapel was built on the site of a previous one in 1870. It closed during the 1950’s and was used as a Methodist Youth Centre until c. 2005. It is now a private house. The building behind was the Manse.

    By Adam Miller (24/08/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *