The Primitive Methodist chapel in St. Leonard’s Road was built in 1876. It replaced the earlier chapel in Hope Square, 2 minutes walk away. The new chapel seated 240.
The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist Sunday school at this chapel. The stone was laid by the Mayor.
Ordnance Survey maps show a Primitive Methodist chapel at the junction of Prospect Place with St Leonard’s Road. Street View. in 2008 and 2018 shows recent residential accommodation on the site.
Martin Reeves tells us that the chapel suffered some damage from German bombs in August 1940 but after repairs , continued to be used until closure in 1962. The flats, built in the late 1960s, now occupy the site. The external characteristics of the flats are somewhat similar to the old chapel but it is not known if any of the original structure was retained or if the whole chapel was totally demolished.
Thanks too to Martin for providing the picture confirming that the unidentified chapel in the Christian Messenger picture is St Leonards Road.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 571