Winterbourne Stickland is a village west of Blandford Forum. Winterbourne Stickland Primitive Methodist chapel in Lower Stickland was opened in 1877, 14 years after the village Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
When the Census of Places of Public Religious Worship was held in 1851, the Primitive Methodists in Winterbourne Stickland were meeting in a cottage although it was used exclusively as a place of worship. On Census Sunday 80 people attended in the afternoon and 100 in the evening, more than the cottage could hold. The return was completed by the steward, William Morris with Robert Langford.