Brightlingsea Primitive Methodist Chapel, Essex
The first chapel in Brightlingsea was replaced by a larger building in Ladysmith Avenue in 1902.
Opened during the year that Edward VII was crowned, the church was nicknamed ‘Coronation church’. However, it was apparently always known by local people as the ‘Gooseberry Chapel’, because one of the members sold gooseberries to raise money for the building.
Unfortunately, the chapel was built over underground springs and subsidence meant that the church members were continually raising funds for structural repairs.
The ‘Gooseberry Chapel’ closed after Methodist Union in 1932, when the Prims joined the Wesleyans in their premises in Chapel Road.
Bill Francis, Cheltenham, Methodist Recorder, 31 May 2013