The 1918 Christian Messenger tells us about Clacton on Sea Primitive Methodist chapel.
” Our Church has been represented here in Great Clacton for over seventy years, belonging first to the Ipswich Circuit, then to the Colchester Circuit, but at the Conference of 1903 it became the Clacton-on-Sea Circuit. Up to 1904 we had a small chapel at Great Clacton, with a promising Society, then it was felt that as the town began to develop and the Free Churches were securing sites in the town, we ought to take our place in a front position with a new church. After careful negotiation, carried through successfully by the Rev. J.T. Ecob, a fine site was secured at the end of Pier Avenue, and during the ministry of the Rev. H. Fleming, the present imposing structure was erected at a cost of £3,000. The Norwich District, under the leadership of the Rev. W. A. Hammond, rallied to the support of this new scheme, and the Church Extension Fund rendered valuable assistance, with the result that along with the devoted services of the friends at Clacton and on the circuit in fifteen years time over £2,000 has been raised for debt reduction. We have a good Society here, encouraging congregations, a fine school, and a splendid C.E. Society and Band of Hope, with a noble band of devoted workers, of whom any minister may well be proud. A good work has been accomplished and our prospects are full of promise.”
Clacton on Sea Zion Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the 1921 Ordnance Survey map at the junction of what is now Old Road and St Osyth Road. In 2018 it is in use by the Salvation Army, although having lost its steeple.
Christian Messenger 1918/268