Dedham Primitive Methodist Chapel
There’s an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1864 of the laying of the foundation stone for a Primitive Methodist chapel in Dedham.
Here’s the account:
“FOUNDATION-STONE LAYING AT Dedham, Colchester Station.— For the last four years we have laboured at this place with varied and pleasing success, but for want of a suitable place in which to hold our services, our efforts have been greatly retarded. In order to meet the wants of the society and congregation, it has been found necessary to build a neat and substantial connexional chapel, for which purpose an eligible site of land has been purchased, and several pounds are promised towards the building fund.
On Monday, November 2nd, 1863, the foundation services were held. The Rev. O. O. Britain preached a sermon, and after wards laid the stone in the name of the Holy Trinity, and deposited in a cavity prepared for that purpose a variety of Connexional and station documents, including a list of the trustees, the names of the builders, and the names of the circuit ministers. Afterwards about sixty persons sat down to an excellent tea, provided in Mr. Felgate’s barn.
At seven o’clock the barn was well filled at the public meeting, which was addressed by 0. 0. Britain, J. B. Lamb, J. Elsden, W. Stoggles, J. Nunn, K. Pratt, and — Abbott. The entire proceeds of the day were about £5, although the rain fell in torrents the greater part of the time. We will not murmur, but thank God and take courage. O.O. Britain”
Is this the same chapel as Dedham Heath? That opened in 1863. See more here.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 116