Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Ardleigh Road Great Bromley Colchester CO7 7TL.

Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1988
Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1988

Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel in Ardleigh Road Great Bromley near Colchester dates from 1861.  At the time of Keith Guyler’s picture in 1988 it was still in use but planning permission for conversion to a house was granted in 1999.  That’s the use in Google Street View in September 2012.

The laying of the foundation stone of the chapel is recorded by J Fortress in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1862. The society had previously met in a cottage which had become too small.  Preachers at the ceremony and following tea meeting on October 23rd included  Rev Yeadon as well as Mr Fortress.

The new chapel was planned to be 30′ x 22′.


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1862.

 

Comments about this page

  • Detail of the laying of the foundation stone added above.

    By Christopher Hill (24/05/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone