Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel
The Street Manuden BISHOP'S STORTFORD CM23 1DT
In 1878 Primitive Methodists bought 5 cottages in Manuden for £182 to build a chapel. The chapel opened in 1880.
In 1884, Mr. W. Clarke of Manuden was told off for going to a pub. In 1888 he was told to read more to improve his knowledge.
Manuden chapel trustees were: William Tedder, John Benterman, Nathan Hammond, John Skinner, Mr. Jackson (dead), Aaron Patmore of Stansted, James Dixon of Elsenham.
The 2012 local conservation proposals describe the building as follows:
“The former Methodist Chapel, a painted brick-built building dating to 1880, with arched windows and door on its gable-ended frontage, is typical of many small-scale rural chapels and forms an important part of the historic narrative of Manuden. It is now a private home (No. 95 The Street).”
The Recorders of Uttlesford History website lists members at several dates in the nineteenth century.
Reference: http://www.uttlesford.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1926&p=0 accessed January 7th 2015
http://www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk/ULHRdone/primitivemethodists.html accessed January 7th 2015