Langley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Essex

Langley Primitive Methodist Chapel | By Keith Guyler, 1988
By Keith Guyler, 1988

Before the building of this chapel, a house was obtained and regular religious services were established with a membership of 41 people, 6 of whom were local preachers. In September 1860 a piece of land was applied for in which to build a chapel upon. In 1862 the first foundation stone was laid and the chapel was built in a Norman style with red, white and blue bricks. By May 24th 1862 the chapel was opened and had 120 seats. In 1871 the chapel was enlarged but membership fell after that due to the effects of the great farm-workers lock in the 1870’s and so poor people migrated for work. The chapel closed in 2004 and in 2012 was reported as being up for sale.

Sources;

http://www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk/ULHRdone/primitivemethodistsinvillages.html

http://saffronwaldenhistoricalsociety.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/langley-methodist-church.pdf

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone