Romford Primitive Methodist Chapel
Primitive Methodism began in Romford with a missioned conducted by members of Grays PM Circuit in 1873. This proved successful and led to a chapel being built in Victoria Road. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Ray of Romford on 30 September 1875. The architect of the new chapel was EC Allam AICE and builder was J Barwelll.
Alongside this new building, mission continued. The Chelmsford Chronicle in its edition of 29 October 1875 noted that the annual missionary meeting had been held in The Temperance Hall when Rev H Carden of Grays spoke about ‘The Saving influence of the Gospel’.
The chapel continued to be improved and developed; The Chelmsford Chronicle stating on 8 July 1881 that, ‘Special services in connection with the re-opening of the Romford Primitive Methodist Chapel’ had been held. Activities at the Chapel included; Band of Hope and Women’s Bright Hour. In 1895 the Chapel hosted the Annual Festival of Bands of Hope in Romford. Rev George Bennett presided and the event included a lantern lecture entitled ‘An evening in Pictureland’.
From being part of the Grays and Romford PM Circuit, after Methodist union the former PM chapel renamed Victoria Road Methodist Church became part of the Ilford Methodist Circuit until 1947 when it became part of the newly formed Romford Methodist Circuit.
During World War 2 Victoria Road Methodist church was bombed, leaving the Sunday school room remaining. The chapel was rebuilt to a design by Evans Grove Thompson Whitehead and built by Warriner (Builders) Ltd. Victoria Road Methodist closed in 1966.
Sources and References
Victoria History of the County of Essex Volume VII
Foundation stones in chapel rebuilt 1950
Chelmsford Chronicle: 29 October 1875; 8 July 1881; 24 May 1895; 11 January 1935