The early days of the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel on Midland Road is reported by CT Harris and William Tanner in the Primitive Methodist magazine in 1849.
Bristol was first missioned from Brinkworth by bothers West and Turner and was made a circuit in 1837. They met in rented chapels, private houses or the open air and in 1847, following a tea meeting in Thomas Street, decided to build a chapel.
The foundation stone was laid by Henry Overton Wills on March 13th 1849. The new building would be 60′ x 34′ wide and in the Norman style, “having school rooms under the chapel, and the vestry and other conveniences behind.” Speakers at the stone laying and later meeting included Revs HJ Roper, E Bishop, J Taylor, GG Young and Mr Hobson of Bath. The workmen were each given a Bible “instead of money to spend on drink as is customary at foundation stone laying and the course had an excellent effect.”
Opening services started on September 26th 1849. Preachers included Revs S Bromley, Rev T Winter, Rev J Taylor, Haycroft, HJ Roper, DC Young.
The new chapel, in a densely populated area, could hold 400-500 worshipers and had room for a gallery if needed. There were convenient schoolrooms on the ground floor. The Builder was J Brown and the lead in fundraising the £610 cost was taken by CT Harris. John Hall gave the glass, and other donors included JL Lavars, Miss Dumble, GP Hinton, R Humphris, J Waters and Mr Passmore.
The chapel disappears from Street View between 2014 and 2016. You can read the story here.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1849 page 311
Primitive Methodist magazine 1849 page 746-747