The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel and schools in Newfoundland Street, Bristol. It was to replace the previous chapel in what it calls Callon Hill, but is almost certainly Callow Hill, a few streets away.
It was regarded as “a serious and weighty undertaking.” It would accommodate 500, included a school with at least 12 classrooms and “facilities for enlargement”.
The 1884 Ordnance Survey map shows Mount Tabor Primitive Methodist chapel on the south eastern side of Newfoundland Road. On the 1918 map the chapel and Sunday school stand next to Howes Road which wasn’t there in 1884. There was however, a felt hat factory.
The whole area has since been redeveloped with Newfoundland Street a dual carriageway leading to the M32. The location is where Broad Pain Boys Club is marked on Google maps.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 124