The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel and schools in Newfoundland Street, Bristol. It was to replace the previous chapel in what it calls Callon Hill, but is almost certainly Callow Hill, a few streets away.
It was regarded as “a serious and weighty undertaking.”
The 1884 Ordnance Survey map shows Callow Hill to the west of the new site of Mount Tabor and to the south of Newfoundland Street. It ran between Leek Street and Clark Street. The chapel was not marked on the map at that time
The whole area has since been redeveloped and Callow Hill no longer exists – although Callowhill Court is in the Broadmead.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 124