Mangotsfield Primitive Methodist chapel
Cossham Street, Mangotsfield BS16 9EN
In the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine, CT Harris gives an account of the opening of Mangotsfield Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bristol Circuit.
Mangotsfield was missioned in 1833 and a room fitted out as a chapel on 10th August 1836. It was not satisfactory, but a revival in January 1857 with 60-70 new members made more room essential. The foundation stone of a new chapel was laid by Handel Cossham of Shortwood Lodge.. The chapel, built by Mr Lambert (a local preacher) , measured 44′ x 27′, with stuccoed and squared walls; all the free seats had rail backs; lighted with camphine lamps; and the pulpit was pained a light stone colour.
Opening events started on November 28th 1857. Preachers included Mr Cossham, CT Harris, Henry Lee of Redland, Rev G Warner of Marlborough, C Wattuns and Rev J Holmes of Bristol. Donors of money or artifacts included Mr Cossham, R Charlton, John Lunell, JW Hall, Mr Stanley (for making the deeds at no cost), Mrs Routby and Mr Lambert.
In due course a Sunday School was added and it became Cossham Street Methodist Church. On Google Street View in may 2016 it is in commercial use.
Location: OS grid reference ST6649976132
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 pp.178-179