Marshfield Primitive Methodist chapel
Marshfield was missioned in 1832, but it was not easy. “On 30 July, one person threw water over Samuel Turner as he was preaching. Another attempted to throw fire upon him and a publican employed several young men to drive two carts through the congregation in order to disturb them.”
It continued to be difficult. They twice lost their meeting place and although they rented (at too high a rent for them to afford) a chapel from 1848 it was in poor condition and “scarcely safe to enter”.
Hence on 11 April 1859 J Smith, the circuit steward, laid the foundation stone for a new chapel. Speakers at the services and tea meeting included Rev Thomas Powell and Messrs Price, Bryant, Butler, Hutchinson and Smith.
In the March 1860 Primitive Methodist magazine, George Griggs writes:
“In the spring of 1859 an eligible piece of freehold land was purchased and properly secured to the connexion. In the early part of last summer a chapel, 36” feet by 24 feet, wag commenced, and on Sunday, Sept, 4th, it was opened for divine worship, when the Rev. J. Causer preached in the morning and afternoon, and in the evening the pulpit was occupied by the Rev. George Grigg. On the following day a sermon was preached by the writer, after which about 250 people sat dow n to tea ; when the tables were cleared a public meeting was held, presided over by Mr. J. Smith, of Chippenham, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. Butler, Elms, Hutchinson, Causer, Grigg, and others.
The congregations were large, collections and donations liberal, and ere the meeting closed it was agreed to have another course of services in connexion with the opening ; consequently, on December 25th, 1859, two discourses were delivered by the Rev. N. Pascoe, of Bristol ; and on the following day a tea and public meeting were held, when much of the divine presence was realised. The chapel fronts the principal street ; the total cost is about £200, towards which we have raised more than £70. We thank all our kind friends who have in any way helped us. You will be pleased to hear, Mr. Editor, since the chapel has been opened our congregations have considerably improved.”
I am unable to locate the new chapel, other than it was on “the principal street”. Where was it and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1833 pp. 299ff
Primitive Methodist Magazine June 1859 pp.370-371
Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1860 p.174