Cowes West Hill Primitive Methodist Church
12-14 Beckford Rd Cowes PO31 7SG
Cowes West Hill Primitive Methodist Church was a very impressive building opened in 1889. It replaced an earlier chapel that was too small for a growing congregation. The new chapel was estimated to cost £1,300 of which they expected the majority.
The March 1889 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note about the laying of the foundation stones which display the following inscriptions:
- To the Glory of God The Foundation Stone of this School was laid by Mr James Jones
- Laid for H. Adams, esq. of Sheffield Vice President of Conference
- Laid in memory of Mrs. Sargent, by G.S.
- To the Glory of God Laid by the Teachers & Scholars of This Sabbath School.
- To the glory of God laid in memory of Mrs. Ralph, 50 years a member with us.
- To the glory of God laid in memory of Mrs c. Warne, of
- West Cowes.
- Laid by Mr. & Mrs J.E. Seymour of Southsea
- To the Glory of God” This Stone was laid by G.A. Beaden esq. Janry. 16th 1889. Ministers – REV. J.H. Harradine, REV. J.T. Gooderidge.
The September 1889 magazine records the opening of the chapel. It is described as “unquestionably an ornament to the town from an architectural point of view”
After closure in the 1960s it became used as a public library.
There was another Primitive Methodist Church in Market Hill.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1889 page 186
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1889 page 570-571