Ordnance Survey maps from 1871 to 1910 show a Primitive Methodist chapel in Preston Candover on the main road through the village, approximately near the junction with Garden Close. It disappears by the 1961 map.
The opening of the chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
“Chapel Opening, Preston Candover, Basingstoke Circuit.—This place was missioned thirty-three years ago by the writer and others. A society was formed, and religious services were conducted in a cottage. Until recently we have not been able to build a chapel. Harding Merritt, Esq., having been solicited by the writer, has kindly given us a plot of land 40 feet by 23 in a good situation.
The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. H. Wake, March 27th, when £11 were placed on the stone. A very appropriate address was given by the Rev. J. Moreton.
The building was opened for Divine worship May 21st, when the Bev. J. Moreton preached morning and afternoon, and the Rev. G. Wallis in the evening. On the following day a tea-meeting was held in Mr. T. Merritt’s orchard, when about 300 persons sat down. Then followed a public meeting in the same place, presided over’ by Mr. H. Wake. Addresses were given by the Revs. J. Imms, N. Glass, and G. Wallis.
The total cost is £180, towards which there have been raised £90. The balance left is lent interest free, to be repaid by yearly instalments. We are greatly indebted to Mr. and Mrs. Wake for their liberal donations and kind attention, and to all others who assisted us. G. Wallis.”
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1865 page 691-692