Damerham Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street Damerham FORDINGBRIDGE SP6 3EU

Damerham Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1989
Return from Damerham Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
Provided by David Tonks

The Damerham Domesday book in 2000 says that the First Primitive Methodist Chapel in Damerham was founded in Mill End in 1845. It was a wooden, single storey building which was converted into a dwelling after Mr Colbourne had arranged to have the building in return for a piece of land in the High Street, where the new Chapel was built and opened in 1877. It was built by local craftsmen with locally raised money.

The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of the new Primitive Methodist chapel which was “comfortable and well finished”.

It suffered bomb damage during the Second World War when the balcony moved away from the wall by an inch.  It was later strengthened.

It is still in use in 2015.

Damerham Domesday Book accessed August 6th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 190


Comments about this page

  • This chapel actually closed in 2012, within a week of Whitsbury chapel also closing.

    By Adam Miller (28/04/2023)
  • Raymond Ella has contributed this additional information:

    The Builder, vol. 35, issue 1805, page 920, Sept., 8th., 1877 :

    For Primitive Methodist Chapel, Damesham,* Salisbury.
    Mr. John Wills, architect.
    Debbin & White ( accepted )……..£240 10 0.

    By Philip Thornborow (13/09/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.