The Primitive Methodist Magazine for October 1853 pp.617-618 contains an account by George Waite of the opening of Stroud Common Primitive Methodist chapel in the Buriton mission of Newbury circuit.
It was first missioned ten or twelve years previously “amidst raging persecution” and a piece of copyhold land was obtained by Mr Waite and William Heath from John Berry. The new chapel was 18′ x 22′ and 11′ high to the ceiling, built of flint with stuccoed walls both inside and out.
It was opened on 24th July 1853 with a tea meeting in Mr Vick’s barn. Sermons were preached by John Knight, W Isaac (Independent), WH Whittington and Messrs Outridge, Vick, Rust and Waite. The total cost was £86, of which £20 was raised in opening collections, £50 borrowed on a note of hand, leaving £16 to be raised.
Stroud Common is north west of Buriton in Hampshire. The 1895 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel and Sunday school at Stroud Farm, where Ridge Common Lane joins Winchester Road. It is still marked on the 1932 map. On Street View in 2015, a building that looks as though it could once have been a chapel is on the site. Is that the former chapel?
Primitive Methodist Magazine October 1853 pp.617-618