Sway Primitive Methodist chapel in the Lymington mission of the Andover circuit was opened on March 14th 1847 with services conducted by S West and Mr Stocks, a railway missionary.
Unusually for a chapel, but typical of the New Forest, the walls were mud; the roof was slate and the building measured 35′ x 21′.
The cost was £40, but much work was done by the members and preachers. George Waite tells us about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine
At the time of the 1851 Census of places of public religious worship, Sway was part of the extensive parish of Boldre. It later became a separate parish.
On the 1909 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Manchester Road. Is that this chapel or a later one?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1847 page 310-311