Winchester Parchment Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Parchment Street, Winchester, SO23 8AT

Winchester Parchment Street Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1989
Winchester Parchment Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1989

The Primitive Methodists took over the chapel in Parchment Street in 1853 and it was rebuilt in 1903.   The foundation stones were laid on 28th May 1903, with Sunday School children also laying bricks to mark the occasion, and the opening services were held at the end of the year.

It was closed in 1973 when it combined with the Peter Street congregation.  Keith Guyler in the notes alongside his photograph in 1989 describes it as used by the Samaritans.  In 2015 it is used partly as Wesley House flats and partly as Winchester Business Centre. 

Comments about this page

  • The architect for the rebuilding in 1903 was TE Davidson of London and Newcastle upon Tynbe

    By Colin Dews (28/02/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone