The return from the Primitive Methodist society at Leadgate to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship tells us that they were meeting in the day school belonging to the Derwent Iron Works company. It was erected in 1846 and could accommodate 250; on Census Sunday 79 attended in the afternoon and 141 in the evening. This was notably less than the usual attendance.
The return was completed on behalf of Jonathan Wright , the chapel steward by Jno North of Leadgate no 166.
They also had a Sunday school which usually attracted 50 scholars.
Where was the school and what happened to the society?