The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Chiswell to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by John Knight and William Burden. They met in former storehouse converted for use as a place of worship. It held 150 people and on Census Sunday 123 attended in the afternoon and 165 in the evening.
It did not have a Sunday School.
Despite the large number attending services in 1851, the 1900 Ordnance Survey map does not show a Primitive Methodist chapel in Chiswell, although there are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels.