The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Bamford to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship records that there were 37 worshippers in the afternoon service and 20 in the evening. The afternoon Sunday school attracted 70 scholars.
The return was completed by local preacher Thomas Smith, of Wawfire near Rochdale. He describes the preaching place as erected in 1835 and having two cottages beneath. He gives the name of the “Place or Parish ” as Wonderfull, in Middleton Parish.