The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Cowhill to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by local preacher Joseph Haughton and trustee Samuel Boardman.
The room was erected in 1815 and seated 400. A service was only held in the evening – 70 people attended in the weeks preceding Census Sunday. In the morning and afternoon there were meetings of the Sunday school with attendances of 70 and 76 respectively.
Cowhill school is registered for Primitive Methodist worship in 1867