The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Wheatley Lane to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by Septimus Bailey, one of the trustees, of Carr Head.
The society had used the same room – which had an outside door – since 1831. It held 80 people andin the afternoon of Census Sunday 25 attended. 40 came in the evening. Therre was a Sunday school in the morning for 15 scholars