John Crossley, the chapel keeper of Smallbridge Primitive Methodist society, submitted the return to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship recording the attendance at the preaching place.
He reported that the usual morning congregation was 60 people with a Sunday school of 65 scholars whilst 52 worshippers attended in the evening. along with 54 scholars. However, on Census Sunday itself there were no services, only morning and afternoon Sunday school attended by 56 scholars each time.
The building which was used exclusively as a place of worship and Sunday school dated from November 1836 and there is an ambiguous note about the school being used for other purposes
A chapel was later built; read about it here.