Stubley Primitive Methodist preaching place

Stubley: return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 476 8 1 6
transcribed by David Tonks 2021

The return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place in Stubley to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship showed that the society met in part of Stubley Hall, and had been opened around 1830.  It accommodated  250 and on Census Sunday 66 people attended in the afternoon and 90 in the evening.  There was also an afternoon Sunday school Рand we are told that the room was too small to contain both the congregation and the scholars, so the scholars were sent home early.

The return was completed by a class leader, James Butterworth who was a mechanic, of Healey Buildings.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *