The return from the Primitive Methodist society in Clutton to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship shows that they were meeting in a dwelling house.. Somehow they managed to seat 60 people and the average attendances were 30 in the afternoon and 50 in the evening.
The return was completed by John Wicks, the itinerant minister, of Fosse Way Buildings, Radstock.
Was there ever a chapel? Jeff Parsons comments that his 1897 Kelly’s Directory mentions a Wesleyan Chapel and a Primitive Chapel although we cannot find a Prim chapel on Ordnance Survey maps. Jeff believes that the Primitive Chapel mentioned was subsequently used by the United Methodists and is shown on the 1885 OS Map located in Marsh Lane, Bendal’s Bridge , Clutton as Zion Chapel (Non Conformist).
But the Prims cannot have used it for very long: Zion also features in the 1867 register of chapels as a United Methodist Free Church and on the 1907 list of chapels in the newly formed United Methodist church. You can see pictures and read more of the United Methodist chapel on our sister site here.