1859 chapel openings and more
Index of 1859 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying
In the 1859 volume of the Primitive Methodist magazine there are 90 reports of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation stone layings.
This is made up of 59 openings, 17 re-openings and 24 foundation stone layings.
At West Grafton in Wiltshire, “threats and bribes are freely used to keep the people from our services”
At Welch End (Welsh End) in Shropshire, they cleaned and re-used the bricks from the previous chapel to build the new one.
At Coniston in the Lake District, building a new chapel was triggered by a Cornish miner who was a local preacher moving to the town.
At Plaistow Marsh when they built the new chapel they did not get “much help from the respectable and wealthy”