Yorkshire: North Riding

chapels registered before 1867 in the North Riding

Location of Primitive Methodist chapels in the North Riding of Yorkshire 1867
This work incorporates historical material provided by the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth through their web site A Vision of Britain through Time (https://www.VisionofBritain.org.uk).

This is a list of chapels that had been registered by 1867 in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Most were rural although, as in most places, the areas of iron mining were well missioned.

Remember that registration was not compulsory. As registration was valid until cancelled, however, there may be duplication: i.e.  both the old and new chapels in a place may be listed. We have also discovered that the official location may not be the same as the name by which the chapel is commonly described.

The Registrar General listed two chapels, Osmotherley and Malton on Swale, as belonging to the Primitive Methodists whilst describing them as Wesleyan chapels: which is exactly what they were, so they have been excluded from this list.

Unless otherwise stated each of these places of worship is described as a chapel.

The numbers on the list relate to places, and match those on the map. Soon after the Registrar General’s list was published the Askrigg Registration District was renamed Aysgarth. The Superintendent of the Barnard Castle Circuit seems not to have registered any of the chapels in Teesdale, either side of the river.

The base map is provided under this licence

Use the search box to find out more about a chapel.

ChapelNotesRegistration District
Ampleforth1Helmsley
Appleton Wiske2Northallerton
Bowbridge[Low Abbotside]3Askrigg
Brompton4Northallerton
Carthorpe5Bedale
Castleton6Guisbrough
Cayton7Scarborough
Cloughton8Scarborough
ConeysthorpeBuilding occupied by Frances Harrison9Malton
Cotherstone10Teesdale
Cotterdale11Askrigg
Craike12Easingwold
Crakehall13Bedale
Dalton14Thirsk
Danby Wiske, Centenarynear the house of Benjamin Peacock15Northallerton
Easingwold16Easingwold
East Ayton17Scarborough
East Cowton18Northallerton
East Harsley29Northallerton
Ebberston19Pickering
Eston Mines20Guisbrough
South EstonGuisbrough
Falsgrave, The Temperance Hall21Scarborough
Fryup, Danby22Guisbrough
Goathland23Whitby
Great Ayton24Stokesley
Great Broughton25Stokesley
Great Smeaton26Northallerton
Gristhorpe27Scarborough
Guisbrough28Guisbrough
Hartoft30Pickering
Helperby91Great Ouseburn
HinderwellA building31Whitby
Horsehouse, Coverdale, Ebenezer32Leyburn
Houlsyke, Danby33Guisbrough
Hovingham34Malton
Huby35Easingwold
Hutton Rudby36Stokesley
Hutton Sessay37Thirsk
Hutton-le-Hole38Helmsley
Hutton’s AmboBuilding occupied by Mary Boggitt {Low Hutton]39Malton
Kirby Moorside, in the west end40Helmsley
Langthorne41Bedale
Lazenby near Middlesbro’42Guisbrough
Leeming43Bedale
Levisham44Pickering
Lockton45Pickering
Lofthouse46Guisbrough
Marske47Guisbrough
Marske, the Fountain chapelGuisbrough
Marton, Sinnington48Pickering
Middleham49Leyburn
MiddlehamLeyburn
Middlesbrough50Stockton
MiddlesbroughStockton
Middleton51Pickering
Moorsholm53Guisbrough
Newton-le-Willows55Leyburn
Newton-upon-Rawcliffe56Pickering
North Ormesby57Guisbrough
Northallerton58Northallerton
Old Malton59Malton
Old MaltonMalton
Pickering61Pickering
Potto62Stokesley
Redcar63Guisbrough
Richmond, Bargate, Ebenezer64Richmond
Rosedale Abbey65Pickering
Saltburn, Milton52Guisbrough
Scalby, The Temperance Hall66Scarborough
Scarborough, Jubilee67Scarborough
Scarborough, St. Sepulchre StreetScarborough
ScakletonBuilding in the occupation of George Ward68Malton
Seamer69Scarborough
Skelton70Guisbrough
Snainton71Scarborough
South Bank, Middleston72Guisbrough
Spital, Bowes Moor74Teesdale
Staithes, Hinderwell75Whitby
Stape, Newton-upon-Rawcliffe76Pickering
Stillington77Easingwold
Stokesley78Stokesley
Sutton on the Forest79Easingwold
Swainby80Stokesley
Swinton81Malton
Terrington82Malton
Thirsk, Castlegate, Ebenezer83Thirsk
Thoralby, Aysgarth84Askrigg
Thornton-le-Clay85Malton
Thornton-le-Moor86Thirsk
Upleatham87Guisbrough
Whitby88Whitby
Wrench Green89Scarborough
Yarm, West Street90Stockton

Comments about this page

  • The Building News & Engineering Journal, vol. 5, page 648, July 15th 1859 :
    The opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at Cotherstone, Yorkshire, newly erected in connection with the Barnard Castle Circuit, took place 2nd. inst.

    By Raymond E. O. Ella (12/09/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *